Monday, August 27, 2012

These shoes were made for walking...

I had a Skype date with my friend Elise last week and she warned me that it's been pretty chilly in England and that layers and closed-toe shoes (read: no flip-flops) would be key to my travel wardrobe. She insisted that TOMS shoes would be the perfect footwear for my upcoming Europe trip. I needed something sturdy, yet stylish that I could wear for full days of sightseeing by foot around London, Paris and Edinburgh. My needs were very specific: nothing with a heel, a low price (must leave money for fine cheeses and champagne in Paris!) and comfortable enough to last me all day with no blisters (the bane of every traveler's existence).

For months now, I've been eyeing TOMS shoes. Sebastian has been very vocal in advising me that this alpargata style has been "cool in South America for ages," and that we Americans are slow to catch on. However, I must say that the brand's philosophy truly is inspirational and what was really what caught my eye earlier this year: it was founded on the premise that for every pair that you buy, the brand will give a pair to a child in need.

After hanging up with Elise, I ventured out to a local shoe store that's an official retailer and bought myself a pair of the canvas classics in the color "ash." And apparently I also bought a new pair for a child who needs them much more than I do.


Cute, comfy AND philanthropical? Sold. But now I have my eye on the sparkly ones...

Do you own a pair? What are your go-to travel shoes?

2 comments:

Diane Phares said...

These look perfect for me, too. The toe area seems roomy. I must look for a Toms dealer nearby!

Miachel @ Spiced Curiosity said...

I love that color! :)

Toms sound like a great choice - I love traveling in mine.